UoN Services Limited (the U) are offering a 20 week (160 hours total) Industry Scholarship (Innovation) worth $2880 for semester 1 2014, with the option to renew in semester 2 for a further 20 weeks. Apply for the scholarship to get involved in Campus Life in order to get invaluable hands on industry experience while building your résumé. Download the position description for 2014 here.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL GET THE OPPORTUNITY TO:
- Assist in creating and monitoring a viable model for gathering of innovative ideas from UoN students and staff.
- Assist with the development of operational planning and implementation of innovative initiatives.
- Assist with disseminating information, running workshops, attracting student volunteers and acting as an advocate for UoN, UoNS, the ESIS Program, and its initiatives.
- Assist with the selection of innovative initiatives and translate strategic ESIS decisions into action.
- Assist by ensuring that a student engagement innovation program schedule is developed that meets the social, cultural and academic aspects of an enhanced campus experience.
- Assist UoNS to maximise returns on innovative ESIS projects through high participation and attendance of the University community.
THE REQUIREMENTS FOR THE SCHOLARSHIP ARE:
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills and ability to engage with students on campus.
- Experience with Microsoft Office software MS Word/Excel/Outlook.
- Demonstrated activity and interest in campus life and student engagement.
- Skills in evaluating, developing and implementing strategies for ensuring the successful implementation of student focused improvements in a University environment.
- Ability to develop and coordinate own project.
- Ability to manage workload effectively and autonomously.
- Current enrolment as a student of the University of Newcastle.
Applications have closed for semester 1 2014 intake. Stay tuned for the semester 2 scholarships.
Have a look at the project that our previous Innovation Scholar has been working on!
The project I have been working on this semester has been the Think Big program which was launched in 2012. The aim of Think Big is to recognise and implement innovative ideas brought to us by the students of UoN. I recently completed my Bachelor of Communication which has helped me immensely with my work at The U as Innovation Scholar. I have been using skills acquired during my degree to enhance and improve the way Think Big is communicated at the university. This involves a lot of research, trial-and-error, editing, writing, social media management and best of all, collaboration with the wonderful people here at The U. I enjoy reading all the ideas in the purple submission boxes around our campuses and working with people at the University to try to make these big ideas a reality.
Stay up to date by reading the Industry Scholar Blog!